Blog post 3 of 3

I think it’s safe to say that Maddox is pretty close to back to normal but not without his recovery time. When we left the hospital, he was actually doing really good but keep in mind that he was on the pain meds from surgery. As he came out of the anesthesia, he did awesome as he wasn’t super crabby and didn’t puke. We gave him a dose of Tylenol and we were out the door and he was awake most of the drive home. As soon as we got home, Maddox and I crashed in the recliner and so started the recovery at home.

He is such a trooper. Tuesday night was a rough as he was so hungry that all he wanted to do was eat real food and was getting mad at a us for what options he had; ice cream, popsicles, yogurt, jell-o, juice and cottage cheese. Seriously, he was mad he couldn’t have peanut butter and a cheese burger. We got through the ear drops Tuesday night and our rounds of meds and the night was rounds of sleeping with him in his bed or sleeping on the couch to try to give each other a break. Wednesday I went back to work and Nick had the shift for the day. The pictures I got throughout the day were of him sleeping. He would nap, wake up super crabby, and fight us to take his meds. Once he took them then he would eat a little bit and then fall back to sleep. I would say this was his routine for most of Thursday and Friday too. Thankfully Grandma Mary and Grandma Ruh were up to help out to try to keep up with meds and keep him comfy.

By Saturday, we turned our first good corner and had a great day that he was up for a couple of good hours, ran a few errands to get him out of the house for fresh air and ate a good amount of food. Grandpa Dave came over to hang out for a few hours and brought a new nerf gun so of course he was so excited.

We had white out conditions on Sunday so we were home bound as Jena came to crash with us and we played science to try to break up the day as we are all sick of the snow.

Monday, we got up and gave school (daycare) a try. We are so blessed to have such an amazing team at school (especially Shell) that he was able to take his meds and get extra cuddles from the ladies from school. Monday night he crashed hard and slept all the way through the night without any issues and the rest of the week we slowly got back to our normal selves.

Lunch at school

Friday night we went to Tom’s where he crushed almost an entire cheese burger, a bunch of onion rings, some fries and a ton of strawberry ice cream (of course with sprinkles) so I think we are back to our normal selves. 😉

Yea for Tom’s Drive In!

Its just crazy to look back on the last two weeks as he did have his moments where he would just crash out or moan a little bit, but he never went worse than that. He did fight us on his meds but we got creative to try different ways from him to take it; it was a topping on ice cream and eventually we mixed it with pedalyte so he was still getting his juices in (to avoid dehydration) and drinking his meds. Looking at the other mommy horror stories of their little ones being back in the hospital for bleeding or dehydration, he did awesome. Now to our follow up appointment for Dr Hunt on our next steps with him and then onto vacation!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s